When buying a home built before the 1980s it is imperative that the wiring is checked by a licensed electrical inspector or registered electrical contractor prior to moving in.
Fire brigades respond to more than 300 domestic electrical fires each year. Many of these fires are caused by old wiring that has degraded or is unable to cope with the demands of modern electrical equipment, including flat screen televisions, air conditioners and computers.
Old wiring is dangerous and can kill
In addition to the risk of fire, contact with degraded wiring can be fatal.
For example, in 2010, a man died when he touched old split-metal conduit while installing an aerial in his roof space.
Don’t let this happen to you.
If your house was built more than 30 years ago, the wiring should be checked.
Degraded wiring like this is dangerous
An example of degraded split metal conduit wiring